NEW ORLEANS (WUSA) -- The Washington Redskins and their rookie QB Robert Griffin III (RGIII) looked great in their first regular season game against the NFL powerhouse New Orleans Saints on Sunday.

RGIII started the game with a flawless six for six passing completion drive that resulted in a field goal for the Redskins and an early lead.

The Saints struck back quickly, with their all-pro QB to TE combo, Drew Brees to Jimmy Graham.

Graham caught a touchdown pass from Brees, as a helpless LB London Fletcher tried to cover him one-on-one.

RGIII answered that quick strike with one of his own, with a perfect pass over the middle to big name free-agent WR Pierre Garcon.

Garcon turned the 20-yard dart, to an 88-yard TD, outrunning the hapless saints secondary.

A few drives later, RGIII threw for his second TD pass, in an unbelievable start to a career, to rookie WR Aldrick Robinson, giving the Redskins a 17-7 lead with 11 and a half minutes left in the second quarter.

The Saints blocked a Sav Rocca punt and picked the ball up and ran it into the endzone to bring the Saints to within a touchdown, 20-14 with :40 left in the half.

RGIII's third quarter started, right where his first half ended. He looked sharp and in complete control.

In the second half's first drive, RGIII controlled the pace of play against the confused Saints defense.

The key play of the TD scoring drive was a fourth-and-inches bootleg pass into the endzone that resulted in a pass interference play against the Saints safety Roman Harper, giving the Redskins the ball at the 1-yard-line.

The Skins then pounded the ball into the endzone on the next play (rookie Alfred Morris 1-yard run).

With just more than six minutes left in the 4th Quarter, Brees threw a bomb to WR Lance Moore, for a TD. The saints converted the 2-point try to bring the Saints to with eight points: 33-25.

Morris got his second rushing touchdown of the game after a long interception return, on a poorly thrown ball by Brees with just under 4:00 left in the game.

The Redskins took the lead 40-25 after Morris's 3-yard TD run.

Brees threw a short touchdown pass to Darren Sproles to make the score 40-32 after the extra point.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wusa9.com/1eAK8y4