Assistant Chief Scott Graham of Montgomery County Fire and Rescue says firefighters arrived at the 14005 block of Castle Blvd. around 7:30 a.m. and found a heavy volume of fire coming from the rear of the apartment building.
Firefighters quickly began rescuing residents from the lower floors until they reached the top floors, removing 17 residents in all.
There were minor injuries such as scrapes, bruises and minor smoke inhalation, but no serious injuries that required hospitalization.
Thirty four units were damaged in the fire, with an estimated total damage of $1.5 million.
The cause of the fire, which began on the first floor, is believed to be electrical or accidental.
The fire was controlled in about 50 minutes by 100 firefighters.
The American Red Cross is working with apartment management to assist displaced residents.