36 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

WOODBRIDGE, Va. (WUSA) -- The Prince William County Fire Marshal's office says a gas fueled cooking appliance, such as a gas grill left on the deck, caused the fire in a third story apartment of the Woodbridge Station Apartments.

Two buildings which had 24 units have been condemned, displacing more than one hundred people.The fire started around 7 p.m Thursday.

Samuel Asomani captured the fire on his cell phone. In the recording, you could hear his concern for people who might be trapped inside.

His son Jeffrey ran to the apartments and started knocking on doors to get everyone out.
He noticed that his cousin Emmanuel hadn't made it out.
Emmanuel Ackah was asleep. "I felt him shaking me."

Jeffrey Asomani said, "I picked him up and brought him outside. If I hadn't done that, he would have been gone by now."
Ackah said, "He saved my life."

Prince William County pulled more than 70 firefighters from nearly every department in the county even calling on Fairfax County to help.

Several firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion as crews battled the blaze in 100 degree temperatures. There were no other injuries.

The fire marshal's office says a gas fueled cooking appliance such as a gas grill caused the fire.

Rebecca Barnes is the Occoquan Woodbridge Lorton Volunteer Fire Dept Spokesperson, "This emphasizes why you don't have grill on your deck. it's against code in Prince William County."

Charges are pending. The class one misdemeanor carries a $2500 fine and up to 12 months in jail.

36 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wusa9.com/1cCEyUV