The Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency issues to following tips for staying cool.
- Stay indoors as much as possible.
- Turn on the air-conditioner or fan.
- Visit one of the District's "Cooling Centers" located throughout the city, if you do not have access to a cool-temperature location.
- DO NOT leave children or pets in vehicles.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Wear light-colored, lightweight and loose-fitting clothes.
- Apply sunscreen at least 20 minutes before going outside. SPF 15-30 is best.
- Limit exposure to the sun, especially between 10 AM and 3 PM when it is strongest
- Watch for symptoms of heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
In addition to the cooling centers listed in the attached PDF, there are additional centers outside the District:
In Montgomery County, cooling centers open at 12 noon today.
- Richard Montgomery High School (250 Richard Montgomery Drive in Rockville)
- Clarksburg High School (22500 Wims Road in Clarksburg)
- White Oak Recreation Center, (1700 April Lane in White Oak.)
Bring prescription medicines, critical phone numbers, and any comfort items such as personal pillows
In Prince George's County:
The County is currently identifying cooling centers for residents. As of 10:00 a.m., the County has identified and opened the following locations that have power in the County where residents can find refuge from the heat.
- Baden Community Center, 13601 Baden-Westwood Road, Brandywine
- Camp Springs Senior Activity Center, 6420 Allentown Road, Camp Springs
- Glassmanor Community Center, 1101 Marcy Avenue, Oxon Hill
- Kentland Community Center, 2411 Pinebrook Avenue, Landover
- Prince George's Plaza Community Center, 6600 Adelphi Road, Hyattsville
- Curry Sports and Learning Complex, 8001 Sheriff Road, Landover
- Show Place Arena, 14900 Pennsylvania Avenue, Upper Marlboro
- Suitland Community Center, 5600 Regency Lane, Forestville
The following Prince George's County Public Libraries have been identified as being open from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. with working air conditioning:
- Accokeek Library, 15773 Livingston Rd., Accokeek
- Bladensburg Library, 4820 Annapolis Rd, Bladensburg
- Beltsville Library, 4319 Sellman Rd, Beltsville
- Laurel Library, 507 7th Street, Laurel
- Hyattsville Library, 6530 Adelphi Road, Hyattsville
We will continue to update this list as more information becomes available.