27 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

MANASSAS, Va. (WUSA) -- The Prince William County Department Of Fire & Rescue says it had to burn off propane after a leak from a motor home on Monday afternoon.

Officials say at approximately 12:30 p.m., fire and rescue responded to the 10800 block of Balls Ford Rd. in Manassas for a possible hazmat incident. Crews foundan 80-pound propane cylinder on an RV/motor home was leaking and could not be stopped. They then called for a hazmat unit.

The hazmat team determined that the safest way to stop the leak was "through flaring operations," according to officials. They say that flaring or "burning off" propane is a quick, "safe way to evacuate tanks through the use of a flare stand or propane torch without venting raw propane into the atmosphere."

The operations went smoothly and by 3:30 a.m. Tuesday the scene was cleared.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wusa9.com/1bdKzqf