Elizabeth Karmel's Cool as a Cucumber Salad
This simple salad beats coleslaw hands down as an accompaniment forbarbecued brisket. The vinegar dressing and the fresh cucumbers cut through the richness of the beef in a sweet and savory salad that is as refreshing as the name sounds.
- 2 English (seedless) cucumbers
- 4 shallots
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- Wash and dry the cucumbers.
- Peel alternating strips of the green skin off the cucumber with a vegetable peeler.
- Slice very thinly with a mandoline-style slicer or a slicing disc of a food processor. Set aside.
- Peel shallots and slice at the same thinness as the cucumber.
- Mix cucumber and shallots. The shallot slices will un-ravel into small rings, which is what you want. Set aside.
- Whisk sugar, salt and vinegar together until completely dissolved.
- Pour over cucumber and shallot slices and mix well, separating the slices to make sure none of them are sticking together.
- Put vegetables and all the liquid in a non-reactive (plastic or glass) container with a tight lid and refrigerate, turning occasionally for at least 3 hours or overnight before serving.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.