courtesy: Cathy Barrow, Author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry
- 2 pint jars
- 1 pound green beans
- 2 tablespoons dill seed
- 2 pieces of lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1-1/2 cup non-chlorinated (bottled) water
- Trim the beans to fit in the jar leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Pack the beans snugly, then divide the dill seed and lemon peel between the two jars.
- In a 3-quart non-reactive (stainless steel or enamel) saucepan, bring the salt, cider vinegar, white vinegar, and water to a boil. When the salt is dissolved, pour the hot brine over the beans.
- Cool and cap, then refrigerate for one week. Serve cold.
- If processing for shelf stability, ensure a ½" headspace, clean the jars well, place the lid and ring, and lower the jar upright into a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.