(WUSA9) --- The noon newscast got a little taste of Ethiopia! We had the pleasure to welcome Chef Askale Shiferaw, the owner of
Askale Café. She shared with us some appetizing Ethiopian recipes.
Chef Askalecreated her "Tibs Wot" or Beef Stew for WUSA 9. She also offeredthe "Tekel Gomen,"a mix of cabbage, carrots andpotatoes. The dishes areenjoyed withEthiopian bread or Injera.
Chef Askale is a health conscious Ethiopian and American fusion chef, so she stressed the importance of utilizing as many natural ingredients as possible.
Watch the video to hear more about her cookingphilosophy.
Askale Café is located in Washington's Brookland neighborhood.
Address: 3629 12th Street, NE, Washington DC, 20017
The restaurant opens Wednesday through Monday at 7 a.m.Patrons canvisit starting 10 a.m. onSundays.
Ethiopian Tibs Wot Recipe Equipment:
Ethiopian Tibs Wot Recipe
Cutting Board & Knife
3 medium size red onions-chopped
1 table spoon chopped garlic and ginger mix
1 cup canola oil
2 pounds Ribeye beef meat-NO PORK
1) Trim fat from the meat.
2) Slice the meat in thick strips.
3) Place a medium skillet over the oven on medium-high heat with little oil and add the beef strips.
4) Stir the beef strips constantly until it gets a little brownish, then remove it off the heat aside.
5) Place the 2nd skillet over medium heat and add the chopped onions, oil, berbere, garlic mix, and sauté until onion is softened for about 15 minutes.
6) Add small amount of water and stir constantly until it is nearly done for another 15 minutes.
7) Add the browned beef and small amount of water and cook for another 15 minutes stir constantly until done.
8) Put some salt for taste.
9) Remove the skillet from the heat, cool down for few minutes.
10) Serve with Injera, bread, or steamed rice.