Valencia, Spain (Sports Network) - Former world No. 1 and former French Open
champion Juan Carlos Ferrero will retire from the ATP World Tour next month.
The 32-year-old has been plagued by injuries the last two seasons and
announced that the Valencia Open in his native Spain will mark his final
event, which will commence October 22.
"The Valencia Open 500 will be my last tournament, it's the best possible
stage for me to retire," Ferrero said. "Because of injuries, I was not able to
play a full season and it's been a complicated year as I could see I didn't
have the same ambition after 14 years on the tour.
"I am very excited about my new life and new projects. I will of course still
be involved with tennis through the Valencia Open 500, the academy and my
Ferrero, nicknamed "The Mosquito," has reached 34 career finals, capturing 16
titles. He reached the top of the rankings in September 2003.
The 15-year-pro appeared in three Grand Slam finals, including his lone
victory at the 2003 French Open. He was also a 2002 French Open runner-up
and lost to Andy Roddick, who just retired last week, in the 2003 U.S. Open
Ferrero, who has earned just under $14 million in career prize money, helped
Spain capture its first Davis Cup title in 2000.
"My greatest memories include the Davis Cup in 2000 because I realized the
impact it had on the country, but it's true that for a tennis player, to win a
Grand Slam or become world No. 1 is the most important achievement," said
Ferrero. "I will miss the competition tremendously. It will leave a void which
will be difficult to replace."
The Sports Network