WUSA BATTLE OF THE BANDS CONTEST
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING. SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. Eligibility. Subject to the additional restrictions below, WUSA Battle of the Bands Contest (the "Contest") is open to legal U.S. residents of the States of Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia who are 18 years or older at the time of entry and are employed as a band director of a public or private high school located within these 3 states (each, a "Nominator"). Eligible nominees are the High School Bands located within any of the 3 states (each a "Nominee"). Employees and contractors of WUSA-TV ("Sponsor"), Gannett Co., Inc., USA TODAY High School Sports, and each of its respective affiliated companies, and advertising and promotional agencies, and the immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with, any such employees or contractors, are not eligible to be either a Nominator or Nominee.
3. How To Enter. The Contest will begin at 12:01 a.m. (E.T.) on August 19, 2013 and end at 5:00 p.m. (E.T.) on Friday, January 3, 2014 (the "Contest Period"). Nominations will be accepted beginning at 12:01 a.m. (E.T.) August 19, 2013 and ending at 11:59 p.m. (E.T.) on August 28, 2013 (the "Nomination Period"). Limit one (1) entry per Nominator. All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. (E.T.) on August 28, 2013.
Online Entry. To enter, during the Nomination Period, the Band Director Nominator must create a video recording of his or her High School Band performing a song of their choice and post the video on YouTube. Nominators must also complete an Official Entry Form on Sponsor's website at www.usatodayhss.com/dc, including the Nominator's contact information, name of the band's high school, name and contact information of the high school's principal, URL of Nominator's YouTube video, and any other required fields and then click on the "SEND" button to submit the completed entry. The video recording may not exceed one (1) minute in length and the Nominator must appear in the video. Videos must have been recorded within the previous twelve (12)-month period. All video entries must be the original work of the Nominator. No professional submissions will be accepted. The winning High School Band members will be interviewed in person by Sponsor about their experience of being a member of their high school bands.
Nominator's computer must accept cookies, or any successor or similar technology, which may be used for the purpose of entry tracking. Ad blocking software on your computer needs to be disabled so that it doesn't interfere with processing your entry. By entering, you agree to the terms of these Official Rules. Sponsor will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected, garbled, inaudible, poor video quality, or illegible entries. All entries become property of Sponsor and none will be returned. Nominees acknowledge and agree that Sponsor shall have the right to edit, adapt, modify, reproduce, publish, promote, create a sound recording of, broadcast, or otherwise display or use entries in any way it sees fit without limitation or compensation to entrants. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry that is alleged to infringe on any third-party's intellectual property rights, exceeds the one (1)-minute limit, or that Sponsor deems obscene, offensive or otherwise inappropriate for viewing by a general audience. The Nominator certifies that all individuals of any age shown in the submitted videos, and the parents and/or legal guardians of any children shown in submissions, have been informed that their, or their child's, image has been entered in this Contest and have no objection to Nominator's submission and Sponsor's display and posting of such videos for purposes of this Contest. Nominator certifies that it has all necessary rights to perform and upload the music contained within its video entry.
4. Winner Selection. Finalist Selection. On or about Thursday, August 29, 2013, a panel of qualified judges selected by Sponsor will evaluate and judge all eligible entries received during the Nomination Period on the following criteria: 50% talent and 50% creativity of the performance. The ratings scale for each criterion will range from one (1) to ten (10), with ten (10) being the best score. The nine (9) entries that receive the highest scores will be selected as the First Finalists ("First Finalists"). In the event of a tie, tied entries will be re-judged on the same criteria listed above. Decisions of judges and Sponsor shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor will post the First Finalists' video submissions on its website, www.usatodayhss.com/dc after the conclusion of the judging.
First Voting Period. Between 12:01 a.m. (E.T.) on Friday, August 30, 2013 through 11:59 p.m. (E.T.) on Sunday, November 17, 2013 (the "First Voting Period"), the videos of the First Finalists will be posted at www.usatodayhss.com/dc/ and will be open for public voting by individuals who are 13 years or older. Voters will be asked to vote for their favorite entry. Votes are limited to one (1) vote per person per day. The three (3) First Finalists that receive the most eligible votes during the First Voting Period will be the Second Finalists ("Second Finalists"). The name of the Second Finalists will be posted on www.usatodayhss.com/dc. During the First Voting Period, each of the First Finalists Bands will be invited, but are not required, to perform their high school theme song live at Sponsor's studio during Sponsor's 5:00 p.m. (E.T.) newscast on a date to be selected by Sponsor.
Second Voting Period. Each of the Second Finalists will be required to submit a second video performing a song of their choice ("Second Video").The Second Video must be no more than 1 minute in length and must be uploaded to YouTube as stated above by 11:59 p.m. (E.T.) on Nov. 25, 2013. The Second Videos will be posted on www.usatodayhss.com/dc/ from 12:01 a.m. (E.T.) on November 27, 2013 through 11:59 p.m. (E.T.) on January 2, 2014 (the "Second Voting Period"), for voting by individuals who are 13 years or older. Voters will be asked to vote for their favorite Video entry. Votes are limited during the Second Voting Period to one (1) vote per person per day. .
During the Second Voting Period, each of the Second Finalists will be invited, but are not required, to perform the song submitted in their Second Video live at Sponsor's studio during Sponsor's 5:00 p.m. (E.T.) newscast on a date to be selected by Sponsor. The Second Finalist that receives the highest number of eligible votes during the Second Voting Period will be the Winner. In the event of a tie, the winner will be randomly selected by Sponsor from among the tied entries. Decisions of Sponsor shall be final and binding in all respects.
5. Prizes and Odds. The winner will receive the following prize package: one (1) $1,000 Visa Gift Card (ARV: $1,000.00); one (1) WUSA Battle of the Bands Contest trophy (ARV: $100.00); one gift card for one (1) Pizza Party for lunch at the winner's high school, which must be redeemed by May 31, 2014 (ARV: $250.00); and a scheduled appearance to perform Sponsor's "This is Home" theme song at the 2014 National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade. (Total ARV of prize package: $1,500.00). Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries and votes received.
6. Winner Notification and Acceptance. The principal or band director of the winning high school will be notified the week of January 6, 2014. After verification of the winner's eligibility, the winner will be announced during one of Sponsor's newscasts on a date selected by Sponsor. Sponsor will coordinate delivery of the prize package with the principal or band director of the high school. Sponsor will make arrangements for the appearance of the winning band at the 2014 National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade. The Winner may waive his/her right to receive prizes. Prizes are nonassignable and nontransferable. No substitutions allowed Prizes and individual components of prize packages are subject to availability and Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. Prizes are not redeemable for cash. Winners are solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prizes. Except where prohibited, acceptance of any prize constitutes winner's consent to the publication of its name and those of its members, biographical information and likeness in any media for any commercial or promotional purpose, without limitation the Internet, or further compensation. Prizes not won and claimed by eligible winners in accordance with these Official Rules will not be awarded and will remain the property of Sponsor.
7. Participation. By participating, contestants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Contest is compromised by a virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserves the right to award prizes based on the entries received before the termination date. Sponsors will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible entries or votes, poor quality videos, or for failure to receive entries or votes or other electronic communications due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or Sponsor. In the event of a dispute, all online entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the owner of the ISP account from which they were sent. For these purposes, an ISP account holder shall mean the natural person assigned to such ISP account by the Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning ISP addresses for the domain associated with such ISP account. Any questions regarding the number of entries, or votes submitted or the owner of an ISP account shall be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries or votes by persons determined to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest.
8. Copyright. By entering the Contest, each contestant grants to Sponsor an exclusive, royalty-free and irrevocable right and license to edit or otherwise use the submitted videos, in whole or in part, for any purpose and in any manner or media (including, without limitation, the Internet) throughout the world in perpetuity, and to license others to do so, all without limitation or further compensation. Sponsor shall have the right to edit the production and/or length of the videos, and broadcast the video entries throughout the 2013 high school football season. Each contestant further agrees that if his/her entry is selected by Sponsor as the winning entry, he/she will sign any additional license or release that Sponsors may require, and will not publicly perform or display his or her submission without the express permission of Sponsors.
9. Construction. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
10. Sponsor. The WUSA Battle of the Bands Contest is sponsored by WUSA-TV. The decisions of Sponsor and judges regarding the selection of winners and all other aspects of the Contest shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the Contest. For a list of winners (available after January 20, 2014) or a copy of these Official Rules, visit www.usatodayhss.com/dc or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to "Winners List/Official Rules" (as applicable), WUSA Battle of the Bands Contest, 4100 Wisconsin Avenue NW Washington, DC 20016. If you have any questions regarding this Sweepstakes, please contact Allison Frick at email@example.com or call 202-895-5963.