Need a cab?
There's now a new app for that. Wednesday myTaxi launches here in DC, the first city in the US to get this popular system from Europe. myTaxi was first launched in Germany in June 2009 and now connects 2.3 million users to more than 15,000 taxis worldwide.
The app is free for smart phones. Riders won't pay any more for their fares than the standard rate. Cabbies will pay 99 cents a ride, starting next year.
· Peer-to-peer connection between driver and passenger, including driver photos, information and phone numbers
· A ratings system for selecting and reviewing your taxi driver and a favorites list to save your favorite drivers for future pickups
· Live tracking of taxi approach on display including arrival time, fare calculator, distance and automatic positioning via GPS
· View of every myTaxi in the area on the taxi radar
· myTaxi Payment - a direct billing process in the taxi via smartphone
You heard how the system works FIRST this morning, right here on 9 News Now. Watch the video for more details.