Prosecutors drop charges against teens in Rockville HS rape case

Rape charges dropped for one suspect in Rockville case

ROCKVILLE, MD. (WUSA9) - Montgomery County prosecutors just dropped the rape charges in a notorious case at Rockville High School that drew attention at the White House and around the world.

The state's attorney says "the original charges cannot be sustained and prosecution is untenable" in the case of a sexual encounter in a school bathroom between a 14 year old girl and two teenage boys.          

RELATED: Attorney says texts prove reported Rockville HS rape was 'consensual'       

Lawyers for the teens pointed to explicit texts sent by the girl, and a graphic video that she sent to the 17 year old. They say she consented to the sex acts in the bathroom.

Ironically, prosecutors are now using the very video that helped force them to drop rape charges to instead bring charges of possession and distribution of child porn. 

RELATED: Dad of Rockville rape suspect arrested by ICE

Defense attorneys are furious about that.

Both teens are still in deportation proceedings.  

Dr. Jack Smith with Montgomery County Public Schools released the following statement Friday: 

“First and foremost, our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the Rockville High School community, particularly the female student who has been at the center of this. I know that the staff and students remain focused on healing as a community and ending this school year “Rockville Strong.”

“While MCPS has no role in investigations, we always fully cooperate with the Montgomery County Police Department and the State’s Attorney’s office. We appreciate our colleagues for their extensive and thoughtful investigation into a matter that has significantly and adversely impacted our entire community.”

“Our work continues as we review safety procedures and protocols in all of our schools. As I have shared previously, MCPS is engaged in a systematic security review of our schools that will continue to help us fulfill our commitment to providing a safe learning environment to all students. The on-site assessment portions of the review have been conducted at six high schools, including Rockville High School. We anticipate completing the remainder of our high schools this month. Once we complete the high school phase of the process, we will begin our review of middle and elementary schools. Upon completion, we will provide a summary of our review and share next steps with our school communities.”

“The safety and security of every student in each school is our first priority and a responsibility that we take very seriously. We have and will continue to work every day to ensure our schools are safe places to learn. Learning is our core mission and central purpose.”

“I want to thank our community for supporting our students and schools during this very difficult time.”

Friday afternoon, a White House reporter asked deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders about the case, which press secretary Sean Spicer had previously commented on.

© 2017 WUSA-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment