ROCKVILLE, Md. (WUSA9) -- Montgomery County Fire and Rescue firefighters battled a heavy fire at a carpentry shop in Rockville on Monday morning.
Firefighters responded to the one-story commercial building fire in the 1000 block of Taft Street at approximately 9:30 a.m., according to fire spokesperson Pete Piringer.
A second alarm was called to the Kevin Smith Building and Design Carpentry shop after heavy fire was seen coming through the roof. There was also a partial roof collapse.
Piringer says that everyone inside the building got out safely.
More than 100 firefighters responded to the scene and fought the fire for more than four hours.
The fire was located directly behind Maryvale Elementary School, but does not appear to be a threat to the building, Montgomery County Public Schools spokesperson Dana Tofig said.
"We do have a daycare in the building and we've moved the students to the opposite end of the building as a precaution," Tofig said.
The fire is now under control. Crews are waiting for an excavator to demolish structurally unsound walls.
Some streets around Taft Street are closed: Taft St between Gude Dr & Loftstrand Dr; Loftstrand Dr at Southlawn Dr; 1st St near Taft St.
Investigators estimate the damage is approximately $1 million.
The cause of the fire appears to be sparks from power tools igniting combustibles nearby.