Md. child in critical condition after clothing catches on fire

PIKESVILLE, Md. (WUSA9) -- Deputy State Fire Marshals Office said Friday a 9-year-old boy has serious burn injuries after his clothing caught on fire Friday morning.

According to authorities, the incident happened around 10 a.m. at the Savage River State Forest,after a boy ignited a sparkler causing his shirt to accidentally catch on fire. Authorities said his mother was inside of the tent.

State Fire Marshal Brain S.Geraci said, "Hand held sparklers burn at 1,200˚F and can quickly ignite combustibles such as clothing. The Office of the State Fire Marshal urges all Marylanders to keep fireworks out of the reach of children to avoid turning a holiday into a potential tragedy."

The victim was flown to the hospital where he remains in critical condition, authorities said. Fifty percent of the burns are to his upper torso, neck and arms.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment