Father charged after baby found dead at MD Naval Air Station

PATUXENT RIVER, Md. (WUSA9) -- The father of an infant who was found dead in a vehicle at a Maryland Naval Air Station on Wednesday has been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

John Junek's family -- including the baby's mother -- all stood beside him at a brief appearance in federal court. A judge ordered him released to the custody of his parents. But the judge was concerned about the gun NCIS agents found on his nightstand with a single round in the chamber. He also told the parents they would have to get rid of the firearms in their home if they want Junek to stay with them pending trial.

Court documents from the US District Court of the District of Maryland in Greenbelt show that 40-year-old John Macdonald Junek has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in the death of his infant son. If he is found guilty of the charge, Junek faces up to 8 years in prison.

According to the criminal complaint, the infant was found in a vehicle at the Naval Air Station Patuxent River at about 3:25 p.m. Wednesday. Junek works at the base.

Junek had taken his four-year-old son to pre-school earlier that morning and was supposed to drop off his infant son at the Child Development Center on NAS Patuxent River, according to the complaint. Junek said he drove to the base and went to his office at approximately 8:50 a.m. The infant was still in his car seat in the locked vehicle.

At 1 p.m., Junek drove his car to a meeting that lasted until 2 p.m., according to the complaint. He then drove back to his office. Junek told officers that he did not notice his son was still in the car seat.

At approximately 3:20 p.m., Junek received a call from his wife. She asked him if he had their son's car seat with him and that's when he realized he may not have taken his son to CDC. He went to his car and discovered his son was unconscious, according to the complaint. He called emergency responders, who tried to perform CPR on the child until police and EMS took over, according to the criminal complaint.

NCIS was investigating the incident, the Naval Air Station said.

Officials noted that the temperature reached 85 degrees on Wednesday.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment