KENSINGTON, Md. (WUSA9) -- Montgomery County Fire and Rescue said they received a call Tuesday afternoon for a gas leak in an apartment building located in the 10000 block of Brunswick Avenue in Kensington.
Authorities said they got the call about 4:30 p.m. Once deputies got to the scene they determined that there was a gas pipe that had been damaged by lawn equipment.
The pipe was leaking gas near the front of the building, authorities said.
A hazardous material accident was declared and residents of the building were told to evacuate the building and notify the gas company.
Authorities said Washington Gas responded and is repairing the broken pipe. The leak has been stopped and they are working to finalize the repairs now.
No injuries have been reported so far, however one man was taken to the hospital for an unrelated medical emergency.
As of 6:15 p.m. Tuesday, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue said repairs were still underway and Washington Gas estimated that could take another hour to finish.
Authorities said some residents of the building left and were staying with family and friends. The building is anticipated to be safe for occupancy again once the repairs have been completed.
PHOTOS: Kensington gas leak: http://on.wusa9.com/1iJGBtc