Enjoy the summertime with this light and sweet lemony cake, paired perfectly with a healthy rhubarb salsa and mascarpone! Thanks to Chef Gerard Viverito for the recipe!
1 stalk rhubarb (4 ounces)
Malaysian Certified Sustainable Palm Oil
1 1/2 cups strawberries, chopped
2 -3 tablespoons raspberry preserves
Snipped fresh basil
·Brush rhubarb with oil. On an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan, grill rhubarb directly over high heat for about 5 minutes or until lightly charred and softened, turning frequently. Chop rhubarb.
·Meanwhile in a bowl, stir together strawberries and preserves. Stir in rhubarb and snipped fresh basil to taste. Serve with cinnamon pita chips, or over pound cake, angel food cake or vanilla ice cream.
Sweet Mascarpone Sugar Free Topping
8 ounces mascarpone
2 tablespoons Pyure honey substitute or to taste
A pinch of cinnamon (about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp)
1 tsp lemon zest
· In a bowl mix together the mascarpone, Pyure honey, cinnamon and lemon zest until smooth. For an airy, whipped spread, use an immersion blender.
· The dip can be served chilled (firmer texture) or at room temperature (creamier texture).
Lemon Pound Cake
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
· Mix together 1 cup sugar and butter.
· Add eggs and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice; mix well.
· Add salt, flour, and baking powder to mixture.
· Add milk.
· Bake at 325°F in a well greased loaf pan for 1 hour, or until golden brown.
· Mix 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar.
· Use a toothpick to make holes in top of cake and drizzle lemon juice and sugar mixture over the top of the cake when removed from the oven.
· Serve with salsa and sweet cream topping
© 2018 WUSA-TV