Floor cleaning machine sparked school fire

HERNDON, Va. (WUSA9) -- Fire officials say an electrical anomaly within a floor cleaning machine caused a fire at a Herndon school on Thursday evening.

According to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department officials, firefighters responded to a Dranesville Elementary at 1515 Powells Tavern Place, at approximately 5:05 p.m. Thursday.

Firefighters saw smoke coming from the loading dock and hallway area. They then quickly extinguished the fire in a kitchen storage room, say officials.

According to officials, sprinklers activated, helping to contain the fire to the storage room.

Officials say all students and staff were evacuated before firefighters arrived and there were no injuries.

The damage is estimated at $5,000, say fire officials.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment