Firefighters battle 3 alarm blaze at Fairfax senior home

ARLINGTON, Va. (WUSA9) -- Officials were called to the scene of a three alarm fire in Fairfax, Va. around 9 p.m. Friday.

Reports said it happened in the 600 block of North Madison Street, just across the Fairfax-Arlington border. Both Fairfax and Arlington County fire officials responded to the scene.

The fire was at a senior living community called Lockwood House, with about a total of 99 apartments. They were all evacuated and there were no injuries, according to authorities.

Firefighters responded to the scene for a transformer smoking outside the building. When they arrived, they say it had actually turned into a fire. It had actually spread into an electrical utility room inside the building.

Authorities said there was a diesel generator and two diesel fuel tanks for the generator in the room. The generator is used to backup electrical power to the building. Sprinklers inside the utility room kept the fire contained to that room, authorities said.

A second alarm went off because of the size of the building. Some smoke from the fire got into the building and there were rising carbon monoxide levels in the building.

The third alarm went off when the decision was made to evacuate the entire building.

According to authorities, all of the residents are being housed in a nearby church until they are allowed back into their apartments. Electrical and gas to the building were turned off during the firefighting operations. Dominion Virginia Power and Washington Gas crews were on scene restoring the utilities.

One resident was taken to the hospital for a medical condition unrelated to the fire.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment