Fire at garage-turned-day care center was accidental

CENTREVILLE, Va. (WUSA9) -- Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department officials say they have determined the cause of a fire at a garage-turned-day care center in Centreville on Sunday.

According to fire investigators, the fire was sparked by an electrical anomaly in the air conditioning wall unit in the converted garage in the 7100 block of Ordway Road.

At approximately 2:15 p.m. Sunday, firefighters arrived at a home to find smoke and fire coming from the garage. They were able to bring it under control in approximately 10 minutes, say officials.

The people inside the home heard the smoke alarms sound and were able to get out unharmed before firefighters arrived at the scene, according to officials. Four adults and three children have been displaced due to the fire.

Officials say the damage is estimated at $100,000.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment