Hallucinogenic drug possibly to blame for GMU student's death

Police say a George Mason student took a hallucinogenic drug with deadly consequences. Tonight campus police say they're concerned other students may have taken the same drug.

FAIRFAX, VA (WUSA9) - A George Mason University student died after taking a hallucinogenic drug on campus. Students told police he was on the drug when he ran through a fifth floor window of a residence hall and fell to the ground.

The student was 19 years old and a sophomore at George Mason. The school has not released his name.

Now, the campus police department is worried other students may have the same drug.

GMU Police Chief Carl Rowan shared a message and warning with the school community Sunday morning. He said officers responded to Potomac Heights Residence Hall at 4:41 p.m. Saturday. Emergency crews rushed the student to Fairfax Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

PREVIOUS: Father posts sign at local park warning drug dealers to stay away

“Police have been informed that other students may have this substance in their possession and therefore may be at risk,” Chief Rowan wrote on Facebook.

Students who took the hallucinogenic drug or may still have it, are urged to call 9-1-1 or contact University Police at (703) 993-2810. GMU has a “medical amnesty” program, which gives support to students who seek help after a first-time experience with alcohol or drugs.

The university has counseling services available for students impacted by the student’s death. They’re urged to call (703) 993-2380 or visit caps.gm.edu for counselor information.

© 2017 WUSA-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment