WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- There will be several temporary street closures on Sunday and Monday at the Frederick Douglas Bridge, Thomas Circle and Pennsylvania Ave NW.
According to DDOT the following locations will be closed due to a special event:
Sunday, June 15, 2014
6:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
· Northbound South Capitol Street on the Fredrick Douglas Bridge will be closed to both pedestrian and vehicular traffic. Motorists should plan to use alternative routes during this closure. Variable message boards will be placed along the I-295 corridor advising motorists of this temporary closure and alternate routes.
8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
The following streets will be closed temporarily to pedestrians, bicycles and motorists for a special event:
· 3rd Street NW from C Street to Independence Avenue
· 4th Street NW from Madison Drive to Pennsylvania Avenue
· 6th Street NW from C Street to Constitution Avenue
· Constitution Avenue NW from 2nd Street to 7th Street
· Pennsylvania Avenue NW from 3rd Street to 7th Street
· Maryland Avenue SW from Independence Avenue to 3rd Street
Additionally, the following streets will have limited access for employees and staff:
· Jefferson Drive SW from 4th Street to 3rd Street
· Madison Drive NW from 4th Street to 3rd Street
The Third Street Tunnel and 7th Street corridor will remain open and are suggested alternate routes for access to Downtown locations.
12 p.m. to 2 p.m.
The following streets will be temporarily closed to pedestrians, bicycles, and motorists for a special event:
· Pennsylvania Avenue NW from 7th Street to 12th Street
· 9th Street NW from E Street to Constitution Avenue
· 10th Street NW from Constitution Avenue to E Street
· 11th Street NW from Constitution Avenue to E Street
The Third Street Tunnel, the 12th Street Tunnel, and the 7th Street corridor will ALL remain open during this time period. They are suggested alternate routes for access to Downtown locations.
4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
The following streets will be temporarily closed to pedestrians, bicycles and motorists for a special event:
· 14th Street NW from Rhode Island Avenue to L Street
· Vermont Avenue NW from Thomas Circle to N Street
· Highland Street NW from Thomas Circle to 15th Street
· M Street NW from Thomas Circle to 15th Street
It should be noted that Massachusetts Avenue NW, between 13th Street and 15th Street, will remain open during this time period. Additionally, temporary traffic patterns will be established for M Street NW and Highland Street NW hotel access. Police officers and traffic control officers will direct motorists accordingly.
Members of the public requiring local access to any location within these areas will be asked for appropriate documentation, and will only be allowed to proceed when safe to do so. There will be identifiable special event public relations staff in the area to assist members of the public with directions on how to proceed around the area safely or gain access to a specific location within these closed areas. Should a member of the public require the assistance of a police supervisor, any police officer may be asked for assistance.
Additionally, Metrobus routing will be impacted during the listed times. Members of the public requiring information regarding any Metrobus routing should contact WMATA at 202-637-7000.
Monday, June 16, 2014
9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
· Virginia Avenue NW from 25th Street to C Street
12 p.m. to 2 p.m.
· East Capitol Street SE from 19th Street to 22nd Street
· Independence Avenue SE from 19th Street to the entrance to RFK Stadium Parking Lot #8 entrance.
Motorists may encounter brief traffic delays while in these areas and will be guided by police officers assisting with this special event.