DC gives itself a D when it comes to patching potholes

WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA9) -- At a council hearing Tuesday called by Council member Mary Cheh, the acting Director of the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) shared a rating system for road quality. Matthew Brown says DDOT gives themselves a 61 percent average on the condition of local roads.

MORE: Tell WUSA9 What Is Driving You Crazy About Your Commute

Based on this system, only 34 percent of roads were rated good to excellent, that leaves 66 percent rating fair to failed.

Many point to the size of the problem at hand. Last winter was the harshest since the Snowmageddon of 2010, generating an enormous amount of craters.

DDOT says they've filled almost 52,000 potholes in 2014. John Townsend, with AAA Mid-Atlantic, says it's costing drivers money, "The latest estimate shows that it costs District motorists over $300 million in damages to their vehicles per year."

DDOT says they want to improve their grade. We asked Brown if they could get that grade higher with more money, "We could get that number higher through what we're doing now, obviously you know we can make improvements with additional funding but I think that what's important for us is to prioritize the resources that we have."

What grade would you give the District when it comes to patching up pitted pothole laden roads? Tweet me at @DebraAlfarone or tell WUSA9 what roads are driving you crazy and why.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment