Hearing rescheduled for DC police shooting suspect

WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- A preliminary hearing set for a man accused of shooting an off-duty police officer during an attempted carjacking in August has been moved to a later date.

Twenty-seven-year-old Romeo Hayes of Southwest, D.C. was set to appear in court on Tuesday. The preliminary hearing has been moved to September 24.

Hayes is charged with Assault with Intent to Kill. The charge stems from an incident on Southern Avenue near Pennsylvania Avenue.

Police said three or four suspects in a maroon Nissan started their crime spree around 2:45 a.m. August 13th on Suitland Parkway near Stanton Road when they fired shots at another vehicle. Then they drove to Pennsylvania and Southern, where police say they attempted to car jack an off-duty detective and shot him.

"They tried to car jack him and take his car, in response to that he tried to pull his vehicle away, and then they pursued him," D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said. When the officer tried to speed away, the suspects rammed their vehicle into his.

The pursuit ended at Bowen Road SE and Southern Avenue, when the suspects shot at the detective, hitting him several times.

"It does not appear the detective ever had a chance to fire back," Lanier said.

The officer was flown to the hospital via Park Police helicopter, but the pursuit of the suspects didn't end. Police say the suspects in the Altima drove into Prince George's County, then back into D.C., until police caught up with them on Hunt Place NE, right in front of Gloria Bland's home.

"You hear the car hit the speed bumps," Gloria Bland, who witnessed the end of the chase, said.

Gloria Bland looked out her window just in time to see her brand new car get side-swiped by the suspects in the Altima.

Then she saw two of the suspects jump out of the car and make a run for it.

"They ran across to my neighbors yard and tried to jump the fence," Bland said.

Two suspects got away, but the one in the passenger seat was pulled out and arrested. "One of the guys couldn't get out because his door was messed up," Bland said.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment