FORESTVILLE, Md. (WUSA9) -- A Saturday morning fire ripped through a Forestville, Maryland home in the 2900 block of Walters Lane near Marlboro Pike.
It left three Prince George's County firefighters injured. But everyone got out of the home safely including an elderly woman.
Prince George's County Fire Chief Marc Bashoor says partial hoarding and a large addition to the home made it challenging for firefighters.
Charles Springer, Fire Victim, "The fire was terrible. The smoke pushed me back."
Flames shot through the windows. Smoke poured out of the house and filled the Saturday morning air.
Charles Springer was a sleep.
"Somebody hitting at the window."
That someone, banging on the window could have very well saved Springer and his 85-year-old mother.
Springer's brother came home this morning to the site of his home burning down.
Donald Franklin, "everything, all I got is what I got on my back, everything."
The fire was so intense, 3 firefighters received burns including one with burns to his airway. They were taken to the burn center at Medstar Washington Hospital.
Chief Marc Bashoor, Prince George's Co. Fire: "They did find themselves in a conditions described slighting as hoarding type conditions, a lot of materials. Those three firefighters were burned and had to be get out and they did were able to get themselves out."
Two of the firefighters have been released and one remains in stable condition.
Firefighters also battled space, in which a recently built addition to the house was heavily on fire. Firefighters rushed into the two and a half story add-on which is bigger than the original house.
Chief Marc Bashoor, Prince George's Co. Fire, "The typical hooks these firefighters take in don't work. They have to use the longer hooks which take a lot more people and a lot more power to get the floors, the walls and the ceilings to open up."
Springer's mother was taken to the hospital as a precaution but everyone is expected to be okay.
Wesley Clarke, Family Friend, "The main thing, they're alive. House can come back but she alive."
No cause to the house fire has been determined yet.