Ventilation fan sparks house fire in Fairfax County

9:04 AM, Sep 3, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

RESTON, Va. (WUSA9) -- Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department officials say they know the cause of a fire at a house in Reston from Monday afternoon.

Firefighters responded to a two-story, single family home in the 9800 block of Coral Bells Drive in Reston at approximately 4:45 p.m., say officials. They found heavy smoke and fire coming from the roof of the home and conducted an aggressive fire attack, according to officials. The firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 20 minutes, and were able to contain the fire to the attic and roof, say officials.

Officials say that there was significant water and smoke damage. The damage is estimated at $300,000, say officials.

A woman was able to escape the home after her neighbor knocked on her front door and told her about the fire, say officials. The woman told officials that the smoke alarm did not activate.

Officials say the fire originated in the attic above the smoke alarm.  According to officials, an attic ventilation fan caused the fire.

Most Watched Videos