Third girl dies from Asiana Airline crash

5:33 PM, Jul 12, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

A third child has died from the Asiana Airlines crash at San Francisco International Airport, hospital officials announced Friday afternoon.

San Francisco General Hospital officials said that the victim, a girl, died of her injuries Friday morning.

Her parents asked that the hospital not reveal her identity or the nature of her injuries, said hospital spokeswoman Rachel Kagen.

She had been one of three patients in critical condition at the hospital. They suffered spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, abdominal injuries and internal bleeding.

Two adults remain in critical condition. The conditions of four others, including a girl, range from serious to fair-to-good.

The hospital treated and discharged 59 others injured in the crash last Saturday morning.

Earlier Friday, police confirmed that one of two Chinese teens killed was run over by a firetruck that responded to the emergency.

It's not yet clear whether the victim, 16-year-old Ye Meng Yuan, was already dead from injuries in the crash when she was struck by the truck, police said.

"We are confirming that at least one time, a firetruck went over a victim," said San Francisco Police Officer Albie Esparza, a police spokesman.

Yuan and Wang Linjia, also 16, were ejected from the Boeing 777 after it struck the airport's sea wall upon landing Saturday. National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Deborah Hersman had said the initial review of video of the rescue efforts was inconclusive in determining whether a victim was run over.

The cause of the crash, which injured 181 of 307 passengers and crew, remains under investigation.

San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault plans to release autopsy results within two weeks. The coroner's office didn't immediately reply to a request for comment Friday.

Wang Linjia and Ye Mengyuan were part of a larger Chinese contingent who were traveling on the flight for a three-week summer camp near Los Angeles.

Esparza said two large airport firetrucks initially responded to the crash and began spraying the fuselage with flame-retardant foam. The area around the plane became covered in foam, and when firetrucks moved to continue fighting the fire, the victim covered in foam was run over, Esparza said.

"It led us to believe the victim passenger was on the ground and subsequently covered by this foam and therefore not visible," Esparza said. "When at least one firetruck repositioned itself, to continue fighting the fire, at that time it was discovered the victim was discovered in the tire track."

He couldn't say what view the driver might have had of the victim.

"The investigation is ongoing," Esparza said.

Contributing: The Associated Press

Most Watched Videos