LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 6am    Watch

Garey Jones III, Accused Of Stabbing Woman In Petworth Area, Had Blood On His Pants, Lied About Fights Says Document

9:12 AM, Jun 24, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- A man accused in one of the four stabbings of women in the Petworth area has a preliminary hearing set for Tuesday morning. Monday, we learned new details about the stabbings via a court document.

Twenty-year-old Garey Jones III is being held without bond for the June 19 stabbing of an adult woman on 1100 block of Allison Street NW.  Other stabbings took place on May 5, June 10, and June 14 in Northwest D.C. and appear to be similar in nature.

According to a court document, the victim in the May 5th incident had just parked her car when a man walked up with a knife and started stabbing her. A court document says she used her purse to block some of his attempts to stab her, and he ran away when a witness approached the scene. According to the document, the man didn't try to take any property or make demands.

In the June 10th incident, the victim told police she was walking from the Metro Transit Bus Barn at the corner of 14th Street and Ecatur Street NW and had opened the gate to enter a front yard when a man grabbed her from behind, "bear hugged" her and started stabbing her. According to the document, when she screamed for help the man fled the scene. Again, the man never asked for any property.

On June 14th, a victim told police she was riding her bike but got tired and started walking the bike on Adams Street NE. According to the document, when she got near her destination a man came at her and grabbed her. She told authorities that he started "swinging at her with a stabbing motion,' according to the document, so she put her forearms up to protect her. She then realized she had been stabbed. She said the man appeared to have something in his hand but she couldn't see it. The woman then yelled at the man "What do you want?" He fled. Again, he didn't say anything or demand anything during the assault, according to the document.

In the stabbing on June 19th on Allison Street NW, the victim said she was walking on the sidewalk in the 1300 block when she heard footsteps behind her so she crossed the street. When she looked back, she saw someone "walking in the same direction in a fast pace," according to the document. She tried to speed up to put distance between them but when she reached the 1100 block she heard someone run up behind her. The victim turned to face the person, and that's when she was tackled. The person started stabbing her on the left side of her body. She screamed and the person got up and fled. According to the document, the attacker "never said anything."

Before June 19th, the suspect had been described as:

  • a male, 5'10" -6'0" in height, slender build, approximately 180 pounds, light complexioned with bushy hair, wearing a dark pants and jacket with hood combination with a yellow or white stripe on the jacket
  • Hispanic male 5'9" - 6'0" in height, slim build, light complexion, short brown hair and wearing a yellow and black striped shirt and dark pants
  • male, 20 - 25 years old, 5'10" - 5'11", thin build, short black hair and wearing a red shirt

In the June 19th incident, the suspect was described as a black male with a medium complexion between 25 and 30 years old, 5'8" to 5'9" tall, with a 2- 3 inch afro or flat top style hair, wearing khaki pants, white and black basketball style shoes, white t-shirt covered by a faded navy blue nylon v-neck pullover with gold trim on the neck and gold stripes around the cuffs.

Then, on June 20 at 11 p.m., the court document shows officers spotted a man at 7th Street and Sherman Circle NW (who was described as a young, light complexioned black male approximately 6 feet tall with a 2 - 3 inch bushy flat top hairstyle, wearing green khaki cargo pants, a red long sleeved t-shirt and black red and silver Nike basketball shoes) looking around in a peculiar manner. Officers watched the man, who had several tattoos on his face and neck, for a minute before approaching him. One officer saw dried blood on the man's right pants leg, according to the document. The officer asked the man if he was okay and where he had come from.

According to the document, the man looked nervous at first but then appeared "dazed or under the influence of an unknown substance."  The man then told the officer he had been in a fight south of that location, and said he cut his index finger during the fight. Officers observed that the cut "did not appear to be fresh" and appeared to be scabbed over. The man also admitted to having a pocket knife "to protect himself" when asked if he had a weapon on him. Officers patted him down and found nothing else but the small pocket knife in his pants pocket. It was described as a "small folding pocket knife with a silver blade and brown handle."

When officers asked for his identification, he told them he didn't have any but gave Garey Jones as his name along with his address and birth date. Jones told the officers that police came to the location of the fight and took a report, but couldn't give an exact location of the fight or report numbers the police would have given, according to the document.

Police said that Jones then changed his story, saying that the fight had not just happened and that he was on his way home from this uncle's barber shop. Jones reportedly didn't tell police the name or the location of the barber shop.

According to the document, officers gave Jones back his knife and let him leave. He was seen walking through an alley towards the home address he had given police.

The next day a warrant was executed at the address he gave police. According to the document, officers found a black jacket with vertical stripes on the sides and a large horizontal white stripe across the front; a black Lakers jersey with yellow trim around the neck and shoulder, a pair of green khaki pants with blood stains on the right leg; a v-neck navy blue Notre Dame pullover jersey with gold stripes around the cuffs and gold trim around the neck; and a small pocket knife.

The document also says that during the search, Jones' mother spoke with officers. She told them that Jones had been the victim of an assault in April, and his jaw was broken. His jaw was wired shut for months and during that time, he was diagnosed with a mental disorder. During the search, officers found medication primarily used to treat schizophrenia and/or bipolar disorder.

That same day, the victim in the June 19th attack was shown a photo array of potential suspects, including a photo of Garey Jones. According to the document, the victim chose a filler photograph and not Jones, though the photo looked very similar to Jones. The victim said, "He looks similar to number 1. If anyone, it's number 1. I can tell you it definitely is not one of the others." Officers say the only photo of Jones was grainy and unclear.

Most Watched Videos