District of Columbia Fire department trucks and personnel respond to a call at the White House, Saturday, May 11, 2013, in Washington. The West Wing including the media area were evacuated because of smoke, according to Secret Service Uniformed Division. journalists were sent outside shortly after 7 a.m. while firefighters inspected the West Wing. They were allowed back into the building about an hour later. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)
WASHINGTON (AP) - Reporters and photographers were evacuated from the West Wing of the White House early Saturday because of smoke from a faulty piece of equipment.
U.S. Secret Service spokesman Max Milien says that at about 7 a.m., smoke was seen coming out of a mechanical room closet on the first floor.
Journalists and others were evacuated out of -- quote "an abundance of caution" and the District of Columbia fire department was called. People were allowed back into the building about an hour later.
Officials say a transformer in the mechanical room overheated.
No injuries were reported and White House officials say President Barack Obama and his family were not affected by the incident.