LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at Noon    Watch
 

Remains of Boston bombing suspect claimed

5:42 PM, May 2, 2013   |    comments
Photo via AP
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • FILED UNDER

(USA TODAY) -- The body of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev's was released at 5:30 p.m. Thursday by the Massachusetts Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to the funeral service retained by Tsarnaev's family, spokesman Terrel Harris said.

The medical examiner's office does not make public the name of the family member who claimed the body or the funeral home that is handling the remains, he said. Tsarnaev's widow, Katherine Russell, issued a statement earlier this week saying she would relinquish her rights to his remains to his family.

The medical examiner determined the cause of death Monday, but the death certificate will not become public until the funeral service files it at Boston City Hall, Harris said. City Hall is closed for the day, so the death certificate will not be filed today.

Tsarnaev, 26, died April 19 after a gunfight with police in Watertown, Mass. Police said he was walking toward police, shooting, when he ran out of ammunition. Police tackled him and had him on the ground when his brother, Dzhokhar, ran over him while fleeing the scene.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, is charged with using a weapon of mass destruction to kill and is being held in a prison hospital while he recovers from gunshot wounds.

Donna Leinwand Leger, USA TODAY

Most Watched Videos