WALDORF, Md. (WUSA9) -- A 3-year-old girl was pronounced dead at a hospital after a garage door came down and crushed her, according to Charles County Sheriff's officials.
The incident occured around 4:00 P.M. at 2928 Eutaw Forest Drive in Waldorf, MD. The girl was playing as the garage door came down. She was transported to a hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Diane Richardson, a spokeswoman for the Charles County Sheriff's office said , "the door came down and pinned her and ended up asphyxiating her.'
Investigators believe the little girl wandered away from her mother who was the only person at the home at that time. They think she hit the button on the door closing it. She tried to crawl underneath it but didn't clear it.
The door is an electronic one and officials are trying to find out if the sensors on it were properly installed and working.
Richardson said "we're testing to see if there were any malfunctions."
One of theories being looked at is whether the girl was small enough to crawl underneath the sensor bar, therefore keeping the censor from activating.