LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at Noon    Watch
 

Improperly Installed Wiring Caused Mount Vernon Building Fire

8:11 AM, Apr 1, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

MOUNT VERNON, Va. (WUSA9) -- Fire investigators say a fire at a commercial building on Richmond Highway in Mount Vernon on Sunday night was accidental.

Fairfax County firefighters responded to a commercial building with three businesses in the 8100 block of Richmond Highway at approximately 5:20 p.m., say officials. They encountered heavy smoke, which was coming from an electrical power meter, say officials. Fire was rapidly climbing the vinyl siding and into the second floor, so firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack from outside and inside to put out the fire, say officials.

No one was injured but the damage from the fire is estimated at $30,000, according to officials.

According to fire investigators, improperly installed electrical wiring involving the electrical meter caused the fire.

Most Watched Videos