MECHANICSVILLE, Md. (WUSA) -- Fire investigators have determined that a fire that left $25,000 worth of damage to a Mechanicsville, Md. was caused by an electrical malfunction of a baby monitor.
The baby monitor was in the basement of a house in the 26800 block of Fowler Court. When the fire started, the smoke alarms went off and a resident there discovered the fire.
Twenty firefighters arrived around 3:15 p.m. They brought the fire under control in approximately five minutes.
According to fire officials, the fire "significantly damaged" the basement.
Family members are helping the residents of the home.