SPRINGFIELD, Va. (WUSA) - Three high school boys charged with child pornography were back in class on Monday at West Springfield High School.
Sources tell WUSA9 that two of the three male students are accomplished athletes who have the talent to be accepted into Division I colleges.
Some students and parents were not happy that that the teens were admitted back to school after being charged with such a serious crime.
The two 16-year-olds and a 15-year-old, all 10th graders, are accused of making sex tapes with six underage, teen girls and sharing the videos. The boys each face one felony count of possession, reproduction, distribution, solicitation and facilitation of child pornography.
According to Fairfax County Police, the alleged victims are six teenage girls who attend local area high schools. None of the girls has been charged with anything connected to the incident.
Allegations have been made that the girls were drunk and even passed out when the tapes were made, but no rape charges have been filed and police said they could not comment or confirm any other details.
Students familiar with the case said the videos were on the boys' cell phones and that it was another student who alerted the School Resource Officer about the videos. The students say the boys' cell phones were confiscated and the evidence found.
Police confirm somebody alerted the school's SRO on November 29th and that he began an investigation immediately. As the scope of the case grew, he brought in investigators from the Fairfax County Police Department's child crimes unit. After a one-month investigation, officers arrested the accused on January 11. The investigation is continuing and more charges could be filed.
Fairfax County Public Schools does not comment on students' disciplinary proceedings and a spokesman could not say whether the boys had been or will be suspended or expelled. Four students and two parents told WUSA9 that the boys were attending class as usual.
An FCPS school board member said the school system was not made aware of the charges until Friday, February 1. The school board member was surprised that the boys has not been suspended, but added that the school system cannot hold a disciplinary hearing on students' alleged behavior until it knows about it.