WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- The U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform released its Top Ten Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2012 on Thursday.
It created the list from polls featured each month on the website FacesOfLawsuitAbuse.org.
At the top of the list is the case of a driver in Florida who pleaded guilty to driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs and then sued the victim who died in the crash. The story ran in the Tampa Bay Times in January and was voted the most ridiculous story in a poll in February on FacesofLawsuitAbuse.org. According to the Tampa Bay Times, David Belniak's attorney filed a lawsuit saying the crash was that driver's fault and asking that driver's family to pay him for his "'pain and suffering ... mental anguish ... loss of capacity for the enjoyment of life' and the medical bills."
Here is the full list:
- Intoxicated Florida driver pleads guilty to manslaughter, then sues victim he killed (Read it here)
- Michigan woman files $5 million suit for the leftover gas still in her repossessed car (Read it here)
- 13-year-old Little Leaguer sued by spectator who got hit with baseball (Read it here)
- Maximum security inmate who went to jail with five teeth sues prison for dental problems (Read it here)
- Anheuser Busch sued when longneck bottle used as weapon in bar fight (Read it here)
- National Football League fan sues Dallas Cowboys over hot bench (Read it here)
- California restaurateur sued for disabilities act violations in parking lot he doesn't own (Read it here)
- Colorado man wins $7 million blaming illness on inhaling microwave popcorn fumes (Read it here)
- $1.7 billion suit claims City of Santa Monica wireless parking meters causing health problems (Read it here)
- Bay Area parents sue school after their son was kicked out of honors class for cheating (Read it here)