Firefighters Released From Hospital After Sustaining Burns In Prince George's Co. House Fire

4:29 PM, Dec 26, 2012   |    comments
  • (courtesy: Billy McNeel, Citizen Services Unit)
  • (courtesy: Billy McNeel, Citizen Services Unit)
    
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

TEMPLE HILLS, Md. (WUSA) -- The three firefighters taken MedStar Washington Hospital Burn Unit have been released after sustaining 1st and 2nd degree burns Wednesday morning.

The firefighters were called to a single family home in the 2900 block of Colebrooke Drive just before 3 a.m. Wednesday and saw heavy smoke coming from the basement level of the house.

Some people who lived in the house told firefighters that three family members were missing. A team of firefighters went to look for the missing family members while other firefighters went to battle the fire. They later found that all 13 occupants were accounted for and safe outside.

The fire was located in the basement and thick smoke filled the basement and stairway going up to the first floor. Firefighters began to extinguish the fire with three firefighters at the top of the stairwell to "hold the stairs" using a hose line to keep the fire from spreading. They succeeded in keeping the fire from reaching the top floor. 

However, the firefighters sustained burns to multiple parts of their body after being exposed to extreme heat even though they were wearing full personal protective equipment and gear. They will remain off-duty until follow-up treatments at the Burn Unit have been completed.

The cause of the fire was accidental and believed to be the result of a malfunctioning dehumidifier.  

Eight adults and five children were displaced from the house, which suffered an estimated $100,000 in damage.  The residents are being assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit.

Most Watched Videos