- 1 Can of ackee, drained (Use fresh if available)
- 1/2 lb boneless salt cod
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 scotch bonnet pepper skin finely chopped up
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 sweet pepper chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Soak the salt cod in a pot of water overnight to remove most of the salt. If the cod is still very salty, boil in water for 20 minutes.
- Drain cod and cut or break into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onions, thyme and scotch bonnet pepper, tomato, tomato paste and green peppers. Stir for a few minutes. Add the cod. Stir.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, then add the can of drained ackee. Do not stir because this will cause the ackees to break up.
- Cook for a few more minutes then sprinkle with black pepper.
- Best served with bammy, roast breadfruit, fried or cooked dumplings, or fried or cooked plantains, cooked yams and Jamaican sweet potatoes.
876 Café serves this into a spring roll to make the 876 Ackee & Saltfish Roll