LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at Noon Tuesday    Watch

Aubrey Dockery of Washington, D.C., Sentenced For Firing AK-47 Near School

5:30 PM, Dec 17, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

WASHINGTON, D.C. (WUSA) - A Washington man has been sentenced to a 10-year prison term on charges stemming from an incident earlier this year in which he repeatedly fired an AK-47 rifle within blocks of Anacostia High School in Southeast Washington, according to U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr.

Aubrey Dockery, 60, was found guilty by a jury in July 2012 of unlawfully discharging a firearm, unlawful possession of a firearm in a gun-free school zone, and related weapons offenses. Following his prison term, Dockery will be placed on three years of supervised release.

According to court documents, on March 6, 2012, at about 2:10 a.m., Dockery shot an AK-47 assault rifle in the direction of a Metropolitan Police Officer who was driving in his marked patrol car at the intersection of 16th and T Streets SE. After the officer radioed for assistance, Dockery fled and multiple additional shots were heard.

In an adjacent block, police came upon a Pepco transformer and parked car that had been struck by bullets. The damage to the transformer cut off power to 17 homes. No one was injured by the gunfire.

Dockery was found soon afterward in the 1500 block of S Street SE - less than 1000 feet from Anacostia High School - crouched behind a parked car with his finger on the trigger of the weapon. The AK-47 was loaded with 17 rounds of ammunition and one round in the chamber. Behind Dockery was a home with multiple bullet holes in the windows and front door.

The home, which belonged to Dockery, was searched, and authorities seized a .22-caliber pistol, a shotgun, and over 150 rounds of shell casings and live ammunition.

At the time of these offenses, Dockery was on parole following an earlier conviction on a charge of second-degree murder in a 1975 murder that took place in Northwest Washington.

In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the work of the MPD officers and detectives who investigated the case. He also thanked those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney's Office, including Paralegal Assistant Debra McPherson and Intelligence Specialist Sharon Johnson. Finally, he acknowledged the efforts of Assistant U.S. Attorney Phil Selden, from the Superior Court Felony Major Crimes Section, who indicted and prosecuted the case as well as Assistant U.S. Attorney Erin Walsh and former Assistant U.S. Attorney Michelle Thomas who investigated the case.

Most Watched Videos