LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 11pm    Watch
 

Malfunctioning Furnace Cause Of Gaywood Elementary School Fire In Lanham, Md.

11:00 PM, Dec 3, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

LANHAM, Md. (WUSA) -- Students and staff were evacuated from Gaywood Elementary School on 97th Avenue in Lanham for a fire in the boiler room on Monday morning. Fire officials say all students and staff are accounted for and safe.

The fire, which was in the ceiling and roof above the boiler room, has been extinguished.

No one was injured during the fire.

Fire officials say that portions of the roof above the boiler room were removed. Fire officials say it appears that the natural gas fed boiler malfunctioned and overheated. They added that the exhaust pipe was so hot it ignited insulation in the ceiling.

Approximately $5,000 worth of damage was left behind, say fire officials.

Electricity and gas service were turned off.  Students were moved to DuVall High School to finish the school day. Fire officials say that students who take the bus home will catch their bus at the high school at their normal dismissal time. Students that walk will be transported back and dismissed at their normal time.

Parents should wait for an announcement from school officials about Tuesday's school status.

Most Watched Videos