LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 4am    Watch
 

Fatal Oxon Hill, Md. House Fire Likely Caused By Misuse Of Kerosene Space Heater, Say Authorities

7:08 PM, Nov 25, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Video: House Fires

OXON HILL, Md. (WUSA/AP) - A Maryland man pulled from his burning Oxon Hill home by firefighters has died of his injuries.

A Prince George's County fire spokesman says the man died Sunday afternoon. The man, whose identity was not immediately released, was pulled from his home in the 5100 block of Boulder Drive around 5:30 a.m. Sunday. He was taken to the hospital with burns and smoke inhalation injuries.

The man's wife was also taken to the hospital with symptoms of smoke inhalation. Officials say she is in fair condition.

Thirteen people were moved to temporary housing in Chillum.

Investigators believe the cause of the fire may be a kerosene space heater. They say that the man was filling the kerosene heater while it was still operating.

It took 30 firefighters approximately 15 minutes to extinguish the blaze. The fire caused more than $50,000 in damage.

 

Most Watched Videos