LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 6am    Watch
 

Charlene Lamb, Deputy Secretary of State, says security levels at consulate in Benghazi were adequate for 9/11 anniversary level

10:33 PM, Oct 10, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • FILED UNDER


WASHINGTON (AP) - State Department officials are telling Congress that security levels at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya were adequate for the threat level on the anniversary of 9/11. But they also said the compound was overrun by an "unprecedented attack" by dozens of heavily armed extremists.

Testifying before an election-season congressional hearing on alleged security failures at the consulate that led or contributed to the deaths of the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans, senior officials said the number of U.S. and local security guards at the compound was consistent with what had been requested by the post.

Deputy Secretary of State Charlene Lamb told the panel, quote, "We had the correct number of assets in Benghazi at the time of 9/11."

She's the State Department official in charge of protecting American embassies and consulates around the world.


Most Watched Videos