LAUREL, Md. (WUSA) -- Prince George's County and UPS hazmat crews have cleared the scene of a potentially dangerous chemical at a UPS facility in Laurel.
The Prince George's County Fire department was initially called to the large facility at 14841 Sweitzer Lane around 2:15 a.m. for a report of hazardous material on fire. Crews at the scene identified the material as nitric acid, which caught on fire. A second package with flammable liquid was also burned, say officials.
The fire was extinguished and crews were able to contain the spilled material. A hazmat team neutralized the acid.
Employees were evacuated from the building.
One haz-mat crew member was transported to hospital for evaluation of a minor illness/injury as well as one firefighter.
Fire officials say the incident never posed a threat to public safety.