Washington Monument Could Be Closed Until 2014

9:13 PM, Jul 9, 2012   |    comments
The National Park Service provided this photo of a crack in the Washington Monument following the East Coast Earthquake in 2011
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

WASHINGTON (AP) - Repairs to the Washington Monument will require massive scaffolding to be built around the 555-foot obelisk and may keep it closed until 2014 after it was damaged by an earthquake last year.

National Park Service spokeswoman Carol Johnson said Monday a damage assessment found scaffolding is necessary to provide workers access to the top of the monument. Engineers determined most of the damage is above 475 feet on the structure.

The park service has offered the $15 million project up for bids. Proposals are due by July 31. Johnson says the agency hopes to award a contract and begin mobilizing in September. From there it will take 12 to 18 months to complete the repairs.

The monument was the world's tallest man-made structure when it was completed in 1884.

Most Watched Videos