SILVER SPRING, Md. (WUSA) -- Montgomery County will open libraries and community centers on Wednesday, July 4, as cooling centers to help residents escape the expected high temperatures.
Open Locations and hours listed below:
- Mid-County Community Recreation Center, 2004 Queensguard Rd., Silver Spring, 240-777-6820, open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- White Oak Community Recreation Center, 240-777-6940, open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Bethesda Library, 7400 Arlington Rd., 240-777-0970, open from noon to 8 p.m.
- Wheaton Library, 11701 Georgia Ave., 240-777-0678, open from noon to 8 p.m.
- Richard Montgomery High School, 250 Richard Montgomery Drive, Rockville.
In addition, the Germantown Aquatic Center in the South Germantown Regional Park, 18000 Central Park Circle, Boyds, will remain open on July 4 until 6 p.m. All other aquatic centers and outdoor pools will operate on normal schedules on July 4.
24-Hour Cooling Centers Reduce Hours of Operation:
The locations below have altered its operating hours due to a decrease in demand for overnight cooling shelters in the County, as power continues to be restored in the area.
- White Oak Community Recreation Center at 1700 April Lane, is no longer needed to provide 24-hour shelter accommodations and will close at 9 p.m. on Tuesday, July 3.
- The White Oak Community Recreation Center will continue to operate today and tomorrow during its regularly scheduled hours of 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.