WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA) -- A generator just outside a Northwest apartment building sent poisonous carbon monoxide wafting into open windows. Paramedics rushed a family of five to the hospital, include a toddler, a five or six year old, and one man who was unresponsive.
Neighbors say the adult male who was in the worst condition was unconscious and that medics had to take him out on a stretcher. Firefighters gave the toddler oxygen after finding the whole family had CO levels in their blood so high that then needed emergency medical treatment.
Emergency crews evacuated the rest of the residents in the six unit apartment building.
Experts say generators should be at least 20 feet away from the house. Added word of warning: carbon monoxide builds up in your body over time. You may be fine walking in and out of the house, but if the exhaust is building up in your house and you go to sleep inside for hours, you could still be in big trouble.
Written and Reported by Bruce Leshan
9News Now & wusa9.com