GREENBELT, Md. (WUSA) -- Fire officials say that two children and their 15-year-old babysitter were taken to the hospital for evaluation of possible smoke inhalation injuries after an apartment fire in Greenbelt. They are in good condition, according to officials.
The fire happened in the 7800 block of Hanover Parkway on the top floor of a three-story garden apartment building. Fire officials say that the children and babysitter were in the apartment where the fire started. The babysitter was able to get himself and the two girls out of the apartment safely before firefighters arrived at the scene.
Officials say the fire was caused by "unattended cooking" and that the damage estimate is approximately $40,000.
The apartment was deemed unfit to live in and apartment management will assist the family.