CRAB PEPPER MASALA
courtesy of Rasika West End
- Lump Crab meat: 2 oz
- Canola Oil: 2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds: 1 tsp
- Spanish onions, chopped: 4 oz
- Fresh ginger: ½ oz
- Fresh garlic: ½ oz
- Curry leaves: 6 leaves
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Chili powder: ½ tsp
- Coriander powder: ½ tsp
- Tomatoes, chopped: 4 oz
- Black pepper, crushed: 1 tsp
- Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
- Salt: To taste
- For presentation:
- Phyllo sheet: 3 sheets
- Balsamic reduction: 1 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan. When hot, add the fennel seeds.
- Add the chopped onions and the curry leaves and sauté till golden brown.
- Blend the ginger and garlic into a paste with water. Add the paste to the onions and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the turmeric, chili and coriander powders, along with the chopped tomatoes and sauté till the tomatoes are well cooked.
- Add salt to taste, then the black pepper and lemon juice.
- Mix in the crab meat and keep warm.
For the presentation:
- Brush each Phyllo sheet with melted butter and place on top of each other.
- Cut the Phyllo sheet into 2 inch squares.
- Arrange on a baking tray and bake at 375°F till golden brown (approx 5 mins)
- To serve, spoon a little crab meat on the plate and top with a baked Phyllo square. Then top with another spoonful of the crabmeat, followed by one more Phyllo square. Repeat this process once more.
- Finish with a drizzle of the Balsamic reduction and chili flakes.