OXON HILL, Md. (WUSA) -- On Wednesday, firefighters and paramedics will be going door to door to test smoke alarms and give carbon monoxide safety information, says Prince George's County Fire Spokesperson Mark Brady. This action follows the tragic carbon monoxide poisoning of five people in Oxon Hill on Tuesday.
Oscar Chavez, Nelson Enrique Landaverde Alas, Sonia Maribel Leiva, Nora N. Leiva, and Gomez Segovia Francisco Javier all died as the result of extremely high carbon monoxide levels inside a home in the 700 block of Shelby Drive.
A broken exhaust pipe in a furnace allowed the carbon monoxide to escape into the home, officials said.
"The furnace was believed to be operating overnight with colder temperatures in the region," Brady said.
Prince George's County officials urge everyone in the area to get furnaces and any other gas appliances inspected often to avoid such tragedies.
Fire Chief Marc Bashoor and firefighters will canvass the Oxon Hill community of Southlawn on Wednesday at 9 a.m. They will meet at the intersection of Shelby Drive and Dudley Avenue.