Fire Chief Bashoor and Chyna’s family visited her at the Drew Freeman Middle School. She received a Fire Chiefs Award. (PGFD)
12 year old Chyna Campbell, with rescued occupant Rosemary (courtesy: PGFD/Mark Brady)
DISTRICT HEIGHTS, Md. (WUSA) -- Last Thursday, a kitchen fire was spreading through the Doral Apartment Complex in District Heights. 12-year-old Chyna Campbell saw the smoke and heard her neighbors screaming for help.
"I was shocked, scared, I didn't know what to do," said Campbell. "That's when I realized I was supposed to call 911."
"It's a fire!" said Campbell when she called 911. "2733 Lorring Drive, apartment 2718. There's a fire! Somebody's stuck in it and they cannot get out. They're on their balcony right now!"
"Chyna was one of the calmest, most deliberate 911 callers that I've heard in a long time," said Prince George's County Fire Chief Marc Bashoor. "To be able to give the detailed information that she gave - what was on fire, where the fire was, where the trapped occupants were, how many of them, what their approximate ages were - is pretty unique."
Chief Bashoor now credits Campbell with helping save the lives of the three people that were trapped on their third-floor balcony. Five days later, he presented her with the "Fire Chiefs Award" in front of her entire 7th grade class at Drew Freeman Middle School.
"I'm thrilled. Words cannot even explain what I feel right now. I'm so proud of her," said Ebony Livingston, Campbell's mother.
"I'm very proud of myself. This is the biggest thing I've ever done in my life," said Campbell.
The Prince George's County Fire Department only hands out about a dozen "Fire Chiefs Awards" every year.