The scene of two people found dead in Rockville
ROCKVILLE, Md. (WUSA) -- Police have identified two people found dead in a Rockville nursing home.
Sandra Ballard, 74, and Albert Ballard, 80, both of the 14000 block of Parkvale Road in Rockville were found shot dead at The Village At Rockville on 9701 Viers Drive. The Ballards are husband and wife, say police. Sandra Ballard was a patient at the nursing home, police said.
Investigators are calling this incident an apparent murder-suicide.
The husband checked into the home at around 9:30 a.m. He walked into the wife's room and started firing, according to witnesses.
Officials at the home temporarily shut down the facility and asked people who were visiting their families to sit tight until authorities arrived.
Around 10, police officers arrived and found the Ballards deceased in her patient room. Detectives recovered a firearm on scene and it is believed that this was the weapon used in the apparent murder-suicide deaths.
It was originally reported that there was an electrocution at the scene, but that report didn't turn out to be true.
The circumstances that led to these deaths remain under investigation. If you have information about these deaths, please call the Major Crimes Division at 240-773-5070.
Statement from Lawrence Bradshaw, Chief Executive Officer, National Lutheran Communities & Services:
At approximately 10:00 a.m on Monday, October 24, 2011, the husband of a patient receiving rehabilitation services entered The Village at Rockville to visit his wife. A nurse heard shots fired and discovered the husband and wife deceased.
This is a terrible tragedy and we have contacted the family and are grieving deeply for their loss. Our immediate concern is the well-being of the family, our community and our staff. We take the security of our residents and families very seriously and believe this is an isolated incident. We are fully cooperating with local authorities.
We will keep you updated as more information becomes available. Please be assured that the safety and well-being of our residents is our highest priority.